The Institute for Habits of Mind offers a variety of professional development services.
On-Line Learning Options
The Institute for Habits of Mind has partnered with Eduplanet21 to provide educators with a series of four online Learning Paths focused on understanding, integrating, and assessing the Habits of Mind in the classroom. This series of online Learning Paths can be taken anytime/anywhere and allows schools, districts, and educators to learn from the experienced Habits of Mind co-authors Bena Kallick and Art Costa in a cost effective and convenient manner.
Users will gain access to:
* 22 hours of professional learning,
* 24/7 access to course materials,
* direct access to Eduplanet21’s support team,
* a certificate of completion, and
* access to the Habits of Mind Clearninghouse and Institute.
Begin your journey through the Habits of Mind today. Learn more at Eduplanet21!
On-Site Learning Options
Habits of Mind have the potential to help shape the culture of a school and improve school climate. In schools where Habits of Mind are being used, we see an impact on how students, staff, and families learn together.
Our goal for professional learning is to help schools successfully transform into “Mindful Schools” where thinking and the Habits of Mind are taught, practiced, valued and have become infused into the culture of the school and community.
Our professional learning is structured to build the capacity of individuals and the school community. We offer support as you build a plan that best fits your community. With such great potential and opportunity, we recognize that each school has its own identity and that each learning community has its own strengths. Therefore, we believe that the best possible model for professional learning is for us to work with you to develop a path which best meets your needs as a school. We have some proven parameters that have worked over time in many schools throughout the world, and would use these as a basis for our work with you.
Professional Learning: Personalization and Customization
Our offerings include both on-line and face to face options. We prefer a blended model in which educators can use the face to face sessions for collaborative work and can use the on line sessions as follow through to enhance implementation of the work. The following represents a framework for systems thinking, with options at each stage of implementing HOM:
Getting Started: acquaint staff, students, and community with vocabulary, value and intent of HOM
- on-line Learning Paths with Art and Bena
- on-site training with professional developers
- blended model that combines online and on-site (e.g., facilitated book study and online course)
- school self-study
Deepening the Learning: HOM is spread throughout the organization and community
- online and in person coaching, problem solving, and development of curriculum
- planning for implementation and roll out
- assessment for growth-setting goals
Building Organizational Capacity: School community embrace HOM in personal and school lives
- developing in-house trainers with online and on-site options
- developing mindful mentors in the school
- developing leadership roles and responsibilities
Certifying School as an International HOM School of Excellence: 3 year commitment to continue and expand HOM
- demonstrating commitment to sustaining this work over time
- developing a three-year plan
- working with PD coach to help support and sustain this work
- using action research to monitor growth and to inform goal setting
For more information, please contact:
Michele DeBellis, IHOM Affiliate Director (for Professional Learning) firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Bena Kallick, IHOM Co-Director email@example.com
Dr. Art Costa, IHOM Co-Director firstname.lastname@example.org